Monday, February 12, 2007

Tidbits from a league no one cares about

Oops.


• Nice work by Gilbert Arenas last night, totally following through on botching his prediction that he'd score 50 points against the Blazers. Arenas managed a sterling nine points as the Wizards lost to the Blazers.

After the game, Wiz coach Eddie Jordan has some choice words for Arenas.
"Leadership is something that's very special. Very special. And we don't have that. But Antawn [Jamison] has that, and that's why he's the only captain on the team. I've tried to have name guys the last couple of years be captains, and it doesn't work, because they don't have the qualities."

At the time he made the prediction, I thought it was great showmanship, but it didn't really turn out that way. Poor Gilbert.

Since an absolutely torrid first few months to the season, Arenas has tanked as of late. In February, he's shooting 31 percent from the field and his assists are down to just four per contest. He's also resorted to jacking up an incredible amount of three-pointers, Hibachi-ing almost nine per game.

I'm sure he'll bounce back, but he's horrendous to watch right now.

• Ricky Davis smacked his former team in the face last night, drilling a jumper with 0.2 seconds left to win it for the Timberwolves. Ricky was thrilled. So were the Celtics, who have now lost 18 straight and have the leg up on Greg Oden or Kevin Durant.

John Amaechi is gay! Gay, you hear me! And retired! Wait. Tell me again why this is such a big story?

• The Bulls looked pretty good last night (except for about five minutes in the third quarter) in beating the Steve Nash-less Suns. Luol Deng, Kirk Hinrich and Ben Gordon combined to score 85 points and get a much-needed road win.

After taking more time to digest the Pau Gasol talk, I've decided that Gordon is the one that has to be traded. Hinrich and Deng do too much defensively -- Deng completely shut down Shawn Marion last night -- and they can score in too many ways to let them go. Hinrich runs the offense, and Deng is seriously about five minutes away from being a superstar. Gordon is a pure scorer, which is great, but he's totally reliant on the jumper and he doesn't distribute as well as he should.

Sorry, little Ben. Enjoy Memphis.

Posted by Eli @ 8:52 AM

Read or Post a Comment

Trade #38. I didn't like him. See if you can get some nachos or a Coke for him.

Posted by Blogger lonewolf @ 4:19:00 PM #
 

I agree, Drew. Viktor Khryapa for Pau Gasol, straight up.

Posted by Blogger Eli @ 4:21:00 PM #
 

You are talking to a guy who traded you Gilbert Arenas for Tony Parker and Brendan Haywood (?). Seems fair to me.

Posted by Blogger lonewolf @ 5:11:00 PM #
 

I think that was Viano. I've never owned Arenas, sadly.

Posted by Blogger Eli @ 5:23:00 PM #
 

I really like the way Gilbert Arenas runs the offense, but I question his decision making sometimes. He's one of those potential guys, but I'm glad Lute has shown so much confidence in him. He needs to get Jefferson more involved.

Posted by Blogger JR @ 7:45:00 PM #
 

Carlos Zambrano demands more coverage on this blog, or he walks after the 2007 season. That's what Carlos Zambrano thinks.

Posted by Blogger JR @ 7:41:00 AM #
 

Yeah, I'm getting to that. I just need to properly gauge how pissed I am about it. And who exactly I'm pissed at.

Posted by Blogger Eli @ 7:45:00 AM #
 
<< Home

Listening

∴ Josh Ritter
∴ Flight of the Conchords
∴ Bloc Party
∴ Radiohead
∴ Nickel Creek

Reading

∴ Fire Joe Morgan

Viewing

∴ The Cubs