Monday, February 05, 2007

Thumbs down

How sad.


Rex Grossman. This is an obvious no-brainer, of course. Grossman's performance wasn't Tony Eason terrible, but it was pretty putrid. He threw two interceptions and lost a fumble, in addition to fumbling again for a 12-yard loss. The first interception he threw was particularly egregious, and not just because it was returned for a touchdown. He dropped back and threw the ball twice as high as he did far, looking much like a kid playing "500" with his friends in the street. Unfortunately, Rex wasn't hit by a car.

Ron Turner. Turner shares almost as much blame as Grossman, with some of the most bland play-calling Bears fans have seen since the days of John Shoop. He continually called plays that featured nothing but flat routes and long routes -- there was no in-between. Grossman is most effective when he hits slants across the middle and uses the tight end. Turner didn't utilize that last night, and by doing so, he failed to put his quarterback in the best position to succeed.

Adewale Ogunleye. Where were you last night? I see your brother was cheering for you from Staton Island, but you didn't even lay a finger on Peyton Manning. Have fun playing behind Mark Andersen next year.

Peyton Manning's tango skills. Check out this YouTube video of Manning doing the tango in 8th grade. The neck-bob part is especially great. He looks like a bird on a pogo stick.

The Super Bowl commercials. I know I'm not saying anything new here, but the ads were pretty terrible this year. I liked the Snickers accidental kiss commercial, and the Oprah/Letterman ad was probably my favorite. Other than that, it was pretty terrible. Then again, it's hard to enjoy commercials when your favorite team is getting punched in the mouth for three hours.

Rex Grossman. Oh, I already mentioned you? Sorry. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for making me looking like an idiot.

Devin Hester. Why can't you figure out a way to play quarterback and wide receiver at the same time? Hack.

Posted by Eli @ 8:33 AM

Read or Post a Comment

I had forgotten about the game 500. Good call.

Good call, also, on Oprah/Letterman. 100% behind you on that one.

Posted by Blogger lonewolf @ 10:28:00 AM #
 

For the record, when Rex Grossman played 500 as a kid, he always threw the ball 125 feet over his friends' heads.

Posted by Blogger Eli @ 11:18:00 AM #
 

I heard that when Rex Grossman played 500 as a kid, some kid who wasn't even playing ended up with the ball
then ran with it 80 yards untouched.

Posted by Blogger Edwin @ 8:16:00 PM #
 

Ed, I can't even imagine what you're going through down in Indy. My sympathy is with you.

Posted by Blogger Eli @ 8:31:00 PM #
 

As I said to a friend last night and another friend today, how many handoff-handoff-handoff three-and-outs were there in the first half? I mean Rex isn't a great QB and it was raining, but I'm with you, that playcalling was pretty knuckleheaded. How can you expect your QB to perform like he has all year when you completely change the entire scheme on him? Perhaps you're trying to confuse the defense, but it's just as important you don't confuse your fucking QB. Also: It's the Indy defense. Sack up and go at them.

Posted by Blogger Andrew @ 8:57:00 PM #
 

I actually perfected my defense late on sunday night. When someone dares to give me crap, I cite, verbatim:

"Wow, here I am thinking that someone who had endured enormous big game losses through the past five years would have more perspective and class than that. You sure showed me."

Posted by Blogger Edwin @ 7:20:00 AM #
 

BADGERS!

Posted by Blogger JR @ 2:27:00 PM #
 
<< Home

Listening

∴ Josh Ritter
∴ Flight of the Conchords
∴ Bloc Party
∴ Radiohead
∴ Nickel Creek

Reading

∴ Fire Joe Morgan

Viewing

∴ The Cubs