Thursday, February 01, 2007

Take notice

The next Jesus.


Kevin Durant is good.

Have you heard?

Texas' all-galactic freshman dropped in 37 points last night and hauled down 23 rebounds while the Longhorns beat Texas Tech. He's only the second player in the history of the Big 12 to post a 30-20 game, with the other being Mario Boggan, who needed triple overtime to get it done.

Kevin Durant is good.

You know it, I know it, and I'm pretty sure he knows it. Though judging from his quote after the game, maybe he's still unconvinced.
"Who me? Oh, I didn't even know I did that. I really wasn't worried about my stats or my rebounds or points. I just wanted to win."

Uh huh.

False modesty or not, you're looking at the best player in college basketball. He's some sort of otherworldly mix of Garnett's all-around game, Dirk's shooting touch and Amare's explosiveness (hello, Eli; meet hyperbole). Check out his numbers to this point:

25 points
11.5 rebounds
2.2 three-pointers
49 percent from the floor
83 percent from the line
1.5 steals
1.7 blocks

In conference play, he's averaging 32 points and 14 rebounds.

Since this is how my mind works, all I can think of is what a fantasy basketball monster he would be. Or is going to be. I can't even begin to imagine what he would do if he stays in college for four years -- we'd probably see him averaging 35 points and 15 boards a game.

But we won't get to see that, since Durant is likely going to come out after this season. While I'm bummed that the Knicks haven't been terrible enough for the Bulls to have a shot at Durant (or Greg Oden), it's still going to be fun to watch Texas play this year. And to watch him play against overmatched college players.

Tune in.

Posted by Eli @ 7:15 AM

Read or Post a Comment

Yeah I want to go back and amend my ATR post about Oden (hilariously misspelled "Odin" by an ESPN commenter .. "BY ASGARD, I CALL ON ODIN, SON OF THOR") to say "all this plus a lot more for Kevin Durant." I'm a big silly pissypants when it comes to this sort of stuff, but I'd much rather watch a wizard at the 3 like Durant than a grinding post-up rebound machine like Oden. Not to mention ODEN'S OWN BEST FRIEND DOESN'T FEED HIM THE BALL ENOUGH WTF.

Posted by Blogger Andrew @ 3:17:00 PM #
 
<< Home

Listening

∴ Josh Ritter
∴ Flight of the Conchords
∴ Bloc Party
∴ Radiohead
∴ Nickel Creek

Reading

∴ Fire Joe Morgan

Viewing

∴ The Cubs