Friday, January 12, 2007

Spend it like Beckham

I married a Spice Girl.


There's been a whole lotta controversy and debate in the last 24 hours if David Beckham's contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy is the most ridiculous signing in the history of sports. The questions are nearly endless. Is he still a top-level player? Is this anything but a publicity stunt? Is there any way Los Angeles won't regret this signing in two years? Is he going to be worth the money? Will he save soccer in the United States?

Nope.



What, were you actually expecting more analysis than that?

Posted by Eli @ 9:07 AM

Read or Post a Comment

See, I don't think he'll "save soccer," but there's a good chance he'll be worth the money. Mostly because, as I found out last night, that $250 million figure includes potential endorsements. I don't quite understand how that works, but his base salary is like $55 over the next five. In the next five years, who knows, Becks might lure in some more worldwide soccer figures, plus you know he'll put butts in seats and raise the prestige/visibility of the league by orders of magnitude (do you think scalpers had MLS tickets on the books before this week?).

There, I did your analysis for you.

Posted by Blogger Andrew @ 4:41:00 PM #
 

Your photos aren't working. How am I supposed to properly digest any analysis about David Beckham if I can't look at his jaw-dropping beautiful face? He's so dreamy. Dreamier than Eli even.

Perhaps I went too far.

Posted by Blogger JR @ 7:55:00 PM #
 

Really? I can see the pics.

And I'm happy because of it.

Posted by Blogger Eli @ 8:36:00 PM #
 
<< Home

Listening

∴ Josh Ritter
∴ Flight of the Conchords
∴ Bloc Party
∴ Radiohead
∴ Nickel Creek

Reading

∴ Fire Joe Morgan

Viewing

∴ The Cubs