Friday, December 01, 2006

Well, we really wanted you in. But OK. Nevermind.

Enjoy the Hall of Fame, George! Sucker.



Now, I love Kansas City. Really. Nice people, the Plaza, great barbecue, jazz music, the Paseo (huh?), and once again, nice people. But the sports landscape there is, well, less than sterling. This is almost entirely due to the Royals, because at least the Chiefs have Larry Johnson.

This, however, could be a new low. It seems that Bret Saberhagen said that he would refuse Hall of fame induction unless Pete Rose was allowed into the Hall of Fame.

In other news:

∴ Ike Turner will refuse "Husband of the Year" honors unless they are first awarded to O.J. Simpson.
∴ Jay Mariotti told the Pulitzer committee to "shove it", saying that if Barry Rozner can't have one, he doesn't want one either.

This Saberhagen development is troubling, for a couple reasons. The first, of course, is that Bret Saberhagen isn't a Hall of Fame player. So it's silly for him to even make that sort of threat. He did win two Cy Youngs, but his closest comparisons on Baseball Reference are John Candelaria, Ron Guidry and Ed Lopat. Solid players, but not an illustrious list.

The other major issue is his support of Pete Rose, who is well-known as having gambled on baseball games. While managing them. Whoops.
"I'd have to decline," Saberhagen said by phone. "I wouldn't accept it unless the Hall decides to put Pete Rose in, which is where he belongs. You're talking about the all-time hits leader. It's never been proven that he bet on baseball while he played."

No, I don't suppose it has been proven. Meaning, Rose has never officially admitted it, in a written statement, that was signed, sealed and delivered to the commish's office. But there is major evidence against him, and Rose always gives one of those non-denial denials when talking about it. Plus, his ceaseless campaigning to actually get into the Hall of Fame is irritating. He's like Ron Santo, with 2,002 more hits, and two more legs.

At least Saberhagen is realistic about his chances:
"Being in consideration is certainly an honor," Saberhagen said. "And certainly the numbers aren't quite what they could have been if I hadn't been hurt as much. (Eli's note: Boo. Hoo.)

"But whether or not I get in, or whatever happens, I don't think that will define my career in my mind. I felt I gave it everything I had at all times. I'm not one of those guys who would go around and advertise it if I got in. There are some guys who will sign their name and then sign 'HOF' underneath it. That wouldn't be me."

No, I guess it wouldn't be.

Posted by Eli @ 8:37 AM

Read or Post a Comment

Sometimes, I think you're just hurtful. John Candelaria was stupendous.

Posted by Blogger JR @ 9:36:00 AM #
 

Oh, you just like Pittsburgh. Shut up.

Posted by Blogger Eli @ 9:43:00 AM #
 

I'd like to announce that I won't accept induction into the thoroughbred racing hall of fame until Barbaro is inducted. I would have been a lot better if I'd been a horse, but whatever happens, I won't let that issue define my racing career.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 3:19:00 PM #
 

That reminds me, is Barbaro dead yet? I lost interest around Week 11 of that saga.

Posted by Blogger Eli @ 4:45:00 PM #
 

No, actually he's apparently making a crazy-good recovery. Good enough that he'll be out banging other horses at some point before he dies.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 4:39:00 PM #
 
<< Home

Listening

∴ Josh Ritter
∴ Flight of the Conchords
∴ Bloc Party
∴ Radiohead
∴ Nickel Creek

Reading

∴ Fire Joe Morgan

Viewing

∴ The Cubs