Saturday, December 23, 2006

I'm about 25 years late

I'm inspired. You inspired?


I feel like I've missed out on the entire Rocky phenomenon. I suppose that's probably because I have. The movies are tremendous cultural icons, but I've never actually sat down and watched any of them straight through. Which is why it was a bit weird I decided to go see the newest Rocky flick last night.

I know that Philadelphia itself has been impacted by the films, and it's interesting that a fictional character has come to represent a city so well. Not only that, the people of Philadelphia are totally OK with their main representation coming from a movie character. Considering that they've booed Santa Claus (sorry to bring out that tired old sportswriter reference), Sylvester Stallone has to be pretty pleased with himself.

But to me, because of my personal unfamiliarity with the series, Rocky has essentially become nothing more than fodder for late-night television hosts and a movie to be re-shown over and over on cable television. Which is why I was surprised that I really, really enjoyed the Rocky Balboa last night.

I was a bit lost at the outset because the first hour of the movie features flashbacks to the earlier films, as well as Rocky (on the anniversary of his wife's death) visiting all the places the two of them had been. It's touching, of course, but I felt like I missed a lot of the significance.

But what did happen was that I discovered just how completely likable Rocky is as a character. He's a simple man, no doubts there, but he's awfully compassionate. That alone makes him endearing.

One subplot of the movie is his relationship with his now grown son (played by some twerp from Heroes), who can't escape his father's shadow and becomes resentful of how everyone just knows him as the Champ's Son. The turning point of the movie, for me, comes when he comes to his father to complain, and Rocky lowers the boom with a pretty well-crafted speech.

Which leads to me to the fact that surprised me most: Sylvester Stallone can act. Like, really. I'm aware that doing the Rambo series probably didn't help his reputation, but he really stands out in this movie. The Philly accent is dead-on (Okay, fine. I've never been to Philly. But whatever) and he goes through a lot of subtle mannerisms and inflections that give Rocky a lot of depth.

The dialogue from Rocky is also pretty solid; it's a good mix of dumb-yet-profound statements and funny little phrases ("Oh, Jamaican? So he's European.") that come across as strikingly realistic.

The point is, I'd hang out with Rocky any day.

And, if you're wondering, there is a training scene -- with the Rocky theme song. I got so pumped up that I headbutted Welty right there in the theater.

Sure, there were also a fair share of cheesy parts to the movie, but it's good cheese. The kind that doesn't make you feel guilty for enjoying it.

Considering the fairly mild expectations I had entering the movie, the movie rates as a solid B+ on my scale. Of course, I imagine I've just upped your expectations with a favorable review.

Sorry about that.

But yo, go see it anyway.

Posted by Eli @ 7:49 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Though I disliked the son character and story line quite a bit, I otherwise agree with your assessment of this great flick .. To catch up, if you want to, I'd recommend the first three Rocky movies, but 4 and 5 are just pretty atrocious

Posted by Blogger Reel Fanatic @ 4:14:00 AM #
 

Dude, great review. I'm in the same boat as you in terms of not having seen the earlier movies, so this is easily the most persuasive review I've read about this movie yet. With every other review I have to wonder how much their love or hate for the other movies is painting their impression of it.

I'm surprised at your assessment of Sly's performance (I figured he was a shell of his former self as well), but I guess we have to keep in mind that he was pretty dynamite in "Cop Land," as well as "Demolition Man" (yeah I went there) and he won a friggin' Oscar for the first Rocky, so he's got the chops.

Posted by Blogger Andrew @ 3:29:00 PM #
 

My wife always mocks me for never having seen the Rocky films. It amazes her that I still know basically everything that happens in the films, despite never having seen them. I am glad I am no longer alone. Sniff.

Posted by Blogger Bad Kermit @ 11:55:00 AM #
 

I realize I'm very late in on this conversation, but I'm devestated that there are so many people coming out and saying they've never seen the Rocky films. Having viewed each of them (Rocky V less so) hundreds of times, my future wife bought me the five-disc set. We immediately watched the films and eloped. Get with it TG 10 crew!

Posted by Blogger lonewolf @ 7:38:00 AM #
 
<< Home

Listening

∴ Josh Ritter
∴ Flight of the Conchords
∴ Bloc Party
∴ Radiohead
∴ Nickel Creek

Reading

∴ Fire Joe Morgan

Viewing

∴ The Cubs